Why are you being so hard on yourself?
Why are we so hard on ourselves and what damage does it do to our sense of self? Most of us are consistently tough on ourselves without even realizing it. We do this in subtle and overt ways that if we pay attention we will be able to catch ourselves in the process. Recognizing our action and behaviors solves half of the problem. If we can catch ourselves in these destructive behaviors, then and only then will we be able to shift them.
A few ways we are hard on ourselves:
- Cringing when we look in the mirror or not even being able to look in the mirror.
- Not being able to accept a compliment, making excuses about the compliment.
- Never being satisfied with ourselves and what we do, always thinking we can do better and getting upset at ourselves.
- Packing your schedule so tight that don’t have a minute to relax.
- Taking care of others before taking care of your self.
Above are just a few ways we are hard on ourselves, that send our mind and bodies the message that we aren’t good enough. When we body shame, set high expectations, and not allow time to relax and rejuvenate, this sends a message that we aren’t good enough.
In looking at the bullet points above, think about if you were doing any of these things to your own daughter, if you had one. It would be brutal. So if you wouldn’t treat others this way, you shouldn’t be treating yourself in this manner either.
We are good enough, which means we deserve to be cared for and treated with honor. It is so important to care for our self with love and respect.
If you are having difficulties spotting the areas where you aren’t honoring yourself, check out my retreats and mentoring. The individual intensive, the couples retreat, or the mother-daughter retreat, you will learn about yourself and how to clean up your past so you can move through this life with love and passion.